Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Weekend Chaos & Laziness

Well our kitchen is still nearly done. I'm afraid we passed on finishing the kitchen punchlist in lieu of doing some outdoor work in the garden/yard. And, frankly, we just hung out with the kiddos around the house, and enjoyed a lovely picnic yesterday at a local park! DD was in heaven, as we got to see lots of birds and flowers, and she got to go down to the beach and make sand castles! That is her idea of heaven since seeing Caillou get to make sand castles, plus reading about Olivia making sand castles.

I caved and bought 8 tomato plants after getting yet another death warning from experienced gardeners here about growing tomatoes from seed so late. Ok, hokay, I GET THE MESSAGE! Well that's fine really--I bought several different types and they are different from the seeds I planted, so if I end up with a bunch of different tomatoes that's just fine by me. I planted 2 heirloom varieties: Legend and Brandywine. Also several "Early Girls", a Roma (ok, I guess that is a duplicate of what I sowed), grape tomato, Husky Gold, and Oregon (presumably another early fruiter). Then our neighbors with a shady yard showed up with 3 more "Early Girls" for us, on the condition that we share some of the bounty with them during the summer. No problem!!

I am such a little child about the garden. I have been running around EVERY DAY when I water it to see if the seeds have sprouted yet. Yes, I am a garden geek. I am even starting to learn the Latin names of my plants. Now I know I have the gardening bug pretty bad if I'm doing that. I shaded my eyes from view of the half-weeded shade bed...enh, I'll get around to it this week.

Oh, and DH put his knee through the seat of one of our dining room chairs. I am still not quite sure why he was kneeling on the chair anyway--they date to the Great Depression so they're not exactly spry young things any more, these chairs... Anyhoo, so that gives me another project, as now I have an excuse a reason to redo the seat covers. I wasted no time in bustling down to Joann's this morning to find some fabric for that little project. Funnily enough I found a fabric I originally bought six years ago to recover the piano bench (on clearance, no less), and so I will have matching fabric on the chairs! Woohoo! I also picked up a yummy faux suede in milk chocolate color to make a Roman blind for the kitchen window...as if I will get to *that* anytime soon, ha.

In any case, if you want to see pics of the kitchen redo, I have some posted at www.dropshots.com/stbridgit . Feel free to peruse at your leisure and scoff at my formerly outdated kitchen. Oh, to be bright and clean again...lalala. Maybe I will mount the handles on the other side today...then again, maybe I will just sit here holding DS in my lap while he sleeps. I have my priorities, you know.

No comments: