Friday, May 4, 2007

Household Cleaning, or Lack Thereof

I know it must be bad if it's bothering me. My house is never in a state of perfect cleanliness to start with, but if I'm shaking my head at the bits of paper from the birdcage that are sticking to my bare feet, and abhorring the general level of untidyness, I know it must be bad.

I have plenty of other things to do today. Those dratted thank you cards, for one. I also have two packages which have yet to be mailed, one for a birthday on March 27th (yes, appalling how late it is...in our defense, the person in question already received their cards on time & did not explicitly state a gift preference, so this is just something I saw that I knew she would like after the fact). The other is a "hospital preparedness" package for my sister, who is expecting her first child in July. At this point I'm thinking, if I get it to her before July, I'm doing well.

And of course I love my computer time. My DD came up to me this morning begging me to play with her and telling me I was done on the computer. Hmmmmmm...granted we were up later than usual, but I don't recollect spending more time checking email than usual. Ah, the real problem manifested itself when I went to go play--"Mommy I want to watch Veggie Tales." Sprout's offerings summarily rejected, I set about the important (to me) business of catching up with my moms group online & postings on the Fool.

Still, the dirty pots in the sink were nagging me. I got some fresh coffee, and darn it, I couldn't stand it any more. I scrubbed them all (a hated and detested above ALL things chore) and even scrubbed our sinks. I wiped down the counters, and unloaded and re-loaded the dishwasher. Then I saw the pile of stuff on the dining room table (Oh my God, how do we...*gulp*, I, have so much craft crap on the table??). And I could not fail to notice the stained tablecloth which has been silently grating on me for a week. Eeek! Now I have LAUNDRY to do, too! Oh Lord, will it NEVER END??

Yes, the floors need to be vacuumed and scrubbed. Trash & recycling must be taken out. And, lo, there *is* a floor in the den, after necessary Pull Up and cake carrier purchases are put away. I am not looking at DD's room, no I'm not, I am just going to look at the wonderfully decorated walls as I put her down for her nap. Ah, she has discovered the mac & cheese (homemade, at least that's one point in my favor today) which I nuked for her and has cooled sufficiently to be put on the table. At least one child is old enough to feed herself with minimal fuss. Naptime looms, hooray!

Did I mention I am putting on my "Master Baker" hat today as well? Yes, it seems I signed up for bringing the snack to church on Sunday. So I have to bake 2 cakes and something else finger-foody. Today. Because, if you will recall, we are redoing the other half of our kitchen this weekend. Including on Sunday, our anniversary. Lovely. Glad we have something romantic planned. Oh well, at least it will hopefully ensure no more January babies. HA!

Yes, I am rambling in my frenetic insanity of today. It has to all be done. I wonder how many Weight Watchers points I get for serious housecleaning...

No comments: