Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Correspondence Burden

I am just sick of thank you cards. I know they are for a good thing, and serve a useful purpose. I am just sick of writing them.

My husband doesn't like to write thank you cards. Well, uh, I don't think anyone likes to write them, the last time I checked... I usually don't mind writing them, but I have written so many lately, I am suffering from thank-you card burn-out. Ha! No, really, I am. I had to write a zillion cards for a baby shower the kind folks at church threw for DS, and that kind of burned me out on them for a while. All right, maybe not a zillion, only a thousand or so...it sure felt that way at the time, so that has to count.

Now we have a bunch of thank you cards that need to be written to DH's extended family. The Irish hospitality gene is strong--we have gotten baby gifts from DH's many cousins, who have all been kind and thoughtful with their gift selections. I have one lingering thank you card to write on behalf of DD for an Easter gift. And if I don't write a thank you card to FIL's best friend and his wife for their baby gift, that will be strike 2 on the baby gift front, as I don't recall writing them a thank you card for their gift for DD.

Hmmmmm. I also feel waves of guilt occasionally about the lack of emails I have written to friends that I want to keep in touch with. DH just updated our website with new photos, so now we are getting a new wave of correspondence seeking to reconnect & update. *sigh* I don't know when I'll get to those, either!! Jeez, I thought this SAHM gig was supposed to involve plenty of leisure time for eating bon-bons and composing chatty cards & emails to all and sundry. I think I've been gypped!

No comments: