Saturday, May 5, 2007

DIY Inertia

So, today we are supposed to be cracking on with the kitchen reinvigoration. The second counter & cabinets are larger in area than the first counter & cabinets that we did 2 weeks ago. I was allowed to sleep in by my DH (a saintly act on his part, since DS woke up at 6:15), and I woke up from one of those crazy college dreams where you forgot to show up for a major test and then grovel to the professor to try to make it up. In this particular case the professor chose to put a letter of reply to my fervent request on a transparency and showed it to the whole class for his personal amusement, which had my friends & myself quite upset and I woke up vowing to go to the university administration over this violation of my rights to privacy! HA! That was a good one.

Anyway, why am I here at my computer instead of beavering away in the kitchen? Well, my DH seems to have succumbed to a common malady in our house for DIY...DIY Inertia. You start something, and then you don't want to finish it. This inevitably happens to us with every single DIY project we have ever undertaken. I don't know why it happens, I just know it does. Hence our shed which was re-roofed & re-walled last summer still sits unpainted and with a large-ish piece of wall MISSING. This concerns me as I have seen a bee hovering around and I certainly do NOT want a beehive in our shed wall!!

But I digress. How can I get my DH to stop watching "Barney" (this is how I know he's got it bad) and come and get started on our project? I don't want to clear the countertops by myself, because frankly that is the worst part of the task. Running the orbital sander? Sure, count me in! Priming? Painting? No problem! But please, don't ask me to clean!!

Hmmm, he's dozing now, DS asleep in his arms. Awwwwwww, so cute. Too bad! I'm going to get stuck finishing this over the course of the week, I know, so he's going to have to suck it up and put that baby down. It's work time! Wish me luck.

No comments: