Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Temptations of Trader Joes and Chipotle

Last night DH & I decided to make the 50 mile haul to Trader Joes to stock up on essentials. With gas prices as high as they are here ($3.33/gallon...*sob*) it may seem strange to drive that far for what is just a grocery store to a lot of people.

Oh, but it is so much MORE than a grocery store! Ok, maybe not, but they do have a lot of high quality foods that you can't find for such a low price anywhere else. They also have the best selection of organic staples I have found anywhere outside of our overpriced local specialty grocer. So since we use so many of their things, it's worth it for us to make that drive every four months to stock up.

And stock up we did. I had a 20 item list of staples that are used routinely in cooking around here, and for each item we were buying between 4-6 duplicates. That's a lot of Trader Joes purchasing! It works out to about $50 per month. I have to remember to take that money OUT of the grocery budget!!

Anyway, we did not fall into the typical "we're hungry and it's dinnertime and we're grocery shopping" trap because we ate dinner first at Chipotle Mexican Grill. *swoon* Ok, Chipotle Mexican Grill is my absolute favorite best-est Mexican 'fast' food joint ever ever EV-ER! We love Chipotle so much we are even stockholders. I just cannot resist the lure of their chicken fajita burrito...come to me my lovely. It just turns me into the Cookie Monster, I gobble it up as fast as I can. I was soooo hungry in the car all the way there, my taste buds were just primed for that burrito creation. I snaffled it up in about seven minutes flat, and I was all set to go through the line and get ANOTHER one when my DH reminded me of the whole Weight Watchers thing and how I said I was really serious about wanting to lose these baby lbs. and regain my slim size 12 college self. Well, poo! I really could have eaten that second burrito without a hesitation, but I said no. I did get myself a burrito bol (everything sans tortilla) so I could bring it home and recreate that Chipotle goodness using my own tortilla today. MMMMMmmmmmmmm......Chipotle....*ogoglloglglggllgg* (my shorthand for the Homer drool noise)

In any case, we did not buy a ton of Trader Joes cookies (we bought only 3 packages which were on our list, TYVM), nor did we buy a ton of stuff because it looked good. We stuck to our list! At Trader Joes! The most tempting shopping "I feel good because it's mostly healthy stuff" destination! Woohoo! I didn't get a second burrito to devour minutes after the first at Chipotle! Willpower won the day. Now I just need to put away all the TJs dry goods and forget they are in my pantry. Ha!

No comments: