Monday, August 20, 2007

The Worst of Us

I can say unequivocably that no member of my family is spared from a bad case of The GrumpsTM when they are hungry. Even DH, who will protest that he doesn't get too grumpy when he's hungry, will become snappish and irritable when he's in need of sustenance. And Lord knows DD gets quite grumpy, peevish, and naughty when she's hungry.

Of course, DD is not the best at articulating her hunger. She just melts slowly into Peevish Naughtiness, with a good dose of Tiredness usually thrown in. This results in usually preferred food items being discarded with "No, I don't WANT that!" with a special emphasis on "want" leaving us in no doubt of her inheritance of the drama gene from her auntie the actress. Nothing is good enough, and even special treats might fall by the wayside. (Note that we do not go out of our way to get special treats, but usually these events coincide with special trips that involve special treats anyway.)

Witness the events of the pre-weekend festivities, involving a trip into downtown to hear our favorite musical group, Anuna, in concert in OUR town! This was a HUGE surprise to me, DH having cleverly concealed it from me until that day. We had a brilliant time, if it was somewhat challenging keeping both kidlets occupied and (relatively) quiet during the mini-concert in Borders. We chatted with a member we know reasonably well (DH knows him better than I) and got autographed copies of their new album, and I was provided with the information that they will be back in full concert, at full strength, this fall, and yes Virginia we WILL be attending the concert sans children!! HOOOOOO-RAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!! A date!! A concert no less!! Of the group responsible for DH & I meeting all those years ago (nine, to be precise). Woohoo! And there was much rejoicing in the kingdom!

Anyway, DD was quite tired and hungry after that, and even a trip to the coveted Red Robin restaurant did not meet with favor. She did gulp down her mac & cheese but was disappointed by the absence of the big red bird, and had to settle for her big red dog (Clifford) in the car for snuggling. She was out about two seconds after we hit the road, and DS snoozed off as well after being topped up in the parking garage prior to departure. Ah, bliss!

Nonetheless, it was instructive how frail our good humors are. I was snapping until I got my coffee for the road from an obliging Starbucks (imagine that, Starbucks in downtown Seattle...will wonders never cease?). DH was the only one in tolerably good form, but even he subscribes to The GrumpsTM when he's hungry. I need only say, "House cleaning this Saturday" to remind us of the Saturday evening dinner and Evil Looks thrown my way as I took care of DS or read my book. Ah yes...hunger is never a good mood.

No comments: