Monday, August 6, 2007

Someone Call the Maids

Ok. I give up. My house is NOT going to be clean, ever again. Clearly God has other plans for my house. The piles of unsorted mail are destined to be information-rich sources for archaeologists when they finally excavate my house from the giant pile of clutter which is overtaking it. I have thrown in the towel.

A six month old son who catnaps for thirty minutes and then pretends to be wide awake and perfectly happy for ninety minutes does not facilitate a stay-at-home mom doing anything resembling house cleaning. I got some more trim painting done today in our bedroom, because I propped the child up in his pack and play with some toys and ignored him as he whined at me for the last twenty minutes I eeked out painting. Worse still, my DD is following his cues, and only napped for ninety minutes today instead of two plus hours. What next? The bird is going to decide not to sleep at night and serenade us all night long?

What is inimicable and intrinsically frustrating about today is that I *did* manage to get stuff done, it just wasn't pleasant to do it--any of it. I mean, it's not that entertaining to put away the clean dishes and reload the dishwasher, but if the kids are relatively quiet, then it's at least pleasurable to accomplish those ordinary tasks. However, when you have one or both children whining at you the ENTIRE TIME you are working, doing that which needs doing around the house, that makes your nerves more than a little threadbare.

My day was capped off by DH calling to say that his car had a flat tire (bugger), then that a lug bolt had sheared while he was taking it off (double bugger), and finally that a second bolt had sheared off when he was securing the spare tire (oh, h3ll!!!). So I fed the kids by myself (the planned dinner, and not delivery pizza--a miracle straight from God in the form of willpower since I just found a Papa John's gift card) and then loaded their cranky butts into the car so that I could go and pick up DH at the car repair shop, where he was having the car towed. It will be fixed tomorrow (we hope) and life will go on. But boy, days like today REALLY. SUCK.

1 comment:

Mother of Chaos said...

UGH. I know just what you mean - it isn't that I *can't* get things done during the day, it's just that getting them done while something between one and four (five) (ten) children are following me around whining about snacks, drinks, computer games and why-can't-we-just-stare-at-the-TV-all-day makes even the simple pleasures NO FUN!!

Hang in there.