Friday, August 3, 2007

Welcome Back, Harry Potter...

Oh wait, that's not me. But it feels like me. I feel like I have stepped back in time, back to the darkened yesteryear where I wandered the dark and musty halls of countless military base houses and learned to cross-stitch and knit and do other historically Southern female type projects thrust upon me and my sister by our mother.

Yes, I have started knitting again. I just want some cheapy Christmas gifts, I didn't ask for the trip down memory lane! But no, here I sit, remembering the times my sister & I dutifully knitted with 50% acrylic, making atrocious color combination choices for our scarves and afghans, as that is all my mother knew how to make, I think. And doing all the packaged cross-stitch kits with unicorns and even (*shudder*) Care BearsTM. Ah, the things deemed necessary to teach one's young... And now, I blame YOU, peeps! Yes, YOU. The ones who skulk and read this blog and talk about all YOUR knitting projects. Be-yarn you!

So I start this great project this afternoon--a simple project, just a scarf made of fun-fur. Can't be too difficult...I remember how to do a basic knit and purl, the only problem is I can never remember how to cast on or off. In fact I always had to have my mother do it for me, and when I cast aside my knitting needles at the tender age of 13 or so I lost any interest in acquiring that particular skill.

And here I sat, people, for an HOUR poring over diagrams online of how to cast on, and managed to somehow crochet (I think it was crocheting) a dangly bit of yarn and mutter curse words under my breath until I FINALLY got it through my skull that after the first "stitch" it was just KNITTING, and I was just TRANFERRING the stitch to the other needle. DUH! Yes, I have a Ph.D...but not in knitting. I am slow with crafts, bear with me. And may I just say that this "fun fur" yarn is "fun" for those that wear it, not those that knit with it? There are 2 different threads per stitch, and woe betide you if you get one of those clumpy bits in there, because that just confuses me.

It is rather comforting, and I'm telling myself I am cool because these knitting needles have cool clumpy bits on the ends instead of plain silver buttons that always got the ends entangled in what I was knitting, and hey this fun fur yarn is really neat and soooo much better than mismatched acrylic yarns. And homemade gifts are the best, right? Right?? I am sure I will get the hang of it. Give me another few hours and maybe I'll have this Beginner One Hour scarf done. Just ignore the weird clumpy bit of yarn at the end.

No comments: