Saturday, July 28, 2007

Worst Mother Award

If there were a weekly award for motherly incompetence, I have surely won it this week. Why am I blogging at 3 am? Well, that would be because I went in to check on my DD after hearing a noise, and found her sleeping, on her tummy, with the grossest poopy diaper.

Now, I am already feeling like an idiot for missing some key clues about a diaper rash she has now--a yeast infection, to be precise. She got this red bump about five days ago, and DH & I assumed it was an insect bite of some kind. However, it wasn't going away, and it was getting worse. At the same time, DD was sobbing about her sore bum, coincidentally at naptimes and bedtimes. Being 2, she is saying all sorts of things to prevent or delay bedtime and sleep, and I just chalked it up to more delay tactics.

But no, my child has a yeast infection, and her bum really IS sore. Great job, Mom. Now, last night, she was crying when DH put her to bed, and we didn't turn on the monitor right away. Yep, and she now knows she's not supposed to come out of her room...so she took off her PJ bottoms, and set about trying to get as comfortable as she could, eventually falling asleep in a very poopy diaper, with her sore bum. My poor baby. Yes, she had the antifungal cream on, but steeping a yeast-infected bum in poop for nine hours is not the best way to cure a yeast infection! I asked her if that is why she was crying, and she said yes, and she had been telling us she had a poopy.

Worst. Mom. Ever. My poor girl...here she was telling us what the problem was, first with her sore bum and then with her poopy, and no one was listening. I apologized to her and promised to listen next time, and gave her lots of cuddles and hugs after I got her changed, creamed, and re-PJ'ed. I also read her an extra story...at 3 am. My patient little girl. Bear with me kiddo, I'm just learning like you are. *sigh* I feel so guilty!

No comments: