Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Mundanities, Mars, & Venus

Here I offer a classic example of the difference between men & women...witness the conversation my DH & I had last night, on one of those rare occasions where our children are asleep and we are miraculously still awake enough to have a conversation:

DH: What are you thinking about?

Me: Well, just about God and the mundane realities of life--you know, the 'mundanities'. There is a tendency to want to disconnect God from the everday, you know? Things like, washing your dishes or changing diapers or grocery shopping, cleaning your house...all the stuff that you have to do but you figure God isn't interested in that.

DH: Yeah, I know what you mean.

Me: But the thing is that God IS interested in the mundane things in our lives, and He IS in those things...we just have to allow that God is interested in us cleaning our dishes or scrubbing our toilets or doing the weeding in the garden, and He WILL speak to us while we are doing those things and reveal more of Himself if we just listen out for Him. And I think it's a shame that more people don't do that, because you really can get an awful lot more enjoyment out of your mundane life if you listen out for God in everything, even the "ordinary".

DH: Yeah, I think you're right.

Me: What are you thinking about?

DH: I was wondering if this is a part of your bum or not. (Aside: DH was rubbing my lower back while I was talking and had wandered down past my waistband)

Me: Huh?

DH: Well, because my hand is past the waistband of your pants, but is that really part of your bum? Because your bum hasn't actually started yet.

Me: No, I don't think that is part of my bum. That is still my lower back.

DH: That's what I thought too.

And there you have it--the difference between the sexes. I was pondering the imponderables of God and how He could possibly be interested in how many times I've emptied the dishwasher and how He teaches me valuable lessons about my children if I just pay attention during those 'everyday' moments, and my DH is enjoying rubbing my back and wondering if it's where my butt starts. A classic. *LOL*

1 comment:

Mother of Chaos said...

Can't type coherent thought...laughing too hard...

OMG, that is SO true!