Friday, April 11, 2008

The Spring Clean and the Ubiquitous Baby Wipe

Well, I think I am just about done with our spring cleaning. I have yet to clean under our bed in our bedroom, but I will probably get to that eventually (I'm thinking May?) and since we are so close to being done I am declaring it a successful cleaning season and moving on with maintaining it.

Instead of having one big party on St. Patrick's Day which necessitated cleaning the entire house, top to bottom, we had a series of smaller events with company for Easter lunch, family visiting, and then playdates that sparked a series of successive cleaning events for me, culminating in today's totally clean & mostly organized house. I even cleaned and organized our shoe rack, a feat which evades me about half the year. Our bird is thankful for a clean cage, top to bottom, and spent yesterday preening and offering noises of contentment whenever I passed by. The kids' rooms got organized and cleaned as well. I managed to get most toy bits and pieces assembled with others of their kind, so even if all of DD's puzzles aren't put together, all the puzzle pieces are there with the puzzle backings. I've conceded the futility of keeping her play food organized appropriately by type (i.e. true 'refrigerator' foods in the fridge, etc.) (Yes I know it was a bit anal retentive but I was hoping to teach food safety...live and learn.)

Which brings me to the increasing presence of baby wipes in my cleaning routine. I use them for everything! I clean the coffee table with them, the tv screens, the kids' hands and faces after messy meals, for dusting in lieu of my Swiffer duster (when I can't find it), and now I have even gone as far as to clean the hardwood floors with baby wipes! I was running a bit ragged getting ready for our playdate yesterday, and both children had some spills on their floors--some chocolate milk spots all over DD's room, and a rogue cookie that was smashed into the floor under the rocker in DS's room. I used two baby wipes to obliterate the cookie from DS's room, and one to get up all the dried chocolate milk spots from DD's room. Part of it was I didn't want to break out the Swiffer WetJet again--it just seemed a waste of a whole cleaning pad for their rooms. See, frugality strikes again. However, I admit that part of me was curious to see if the ubiquitous baby wipe could conquer yet another household cleaning chore. If you don't have baby wipes around, give them a try. I'm telling you, Mr. Clean and his Magic products have nothing on these!

1 comment:

Carol said...

I tagged you for a post on my blog lovely! I use baby wipes for EVERYTHING!