Thursday, April 24, 2008

I Am a Slow Learner

So, I moved from a state with sunshine about 95% of the time, to a state where rain is the prevalent weather condition and when it's not raining, the kids think the sky is normally gray because blue skies only happen for maybe one month in the summertime. You'd think that, knowing this empirically, I would have learned last year to let the children OUT dabnabbit whenever it's somewhat nice outside! But no, I spent last year keeping poor DD cooped up on perfectly fine (if somewhat cold & windy) days during early spring and early fall.

"It's too cold out," I would say.
"It looks like it's going to rain."
"It's too windy to play outside."

Really, what was I thinking?? It ALWAYS looks like it is going to rain here. And "too windy" to play outside? *Guffaw!* Puh-leeze! If they're not getting blown over and trees are not crashing to the ground, it's not too windy.

There are so many benefits to letting the kids gambol about the yard. For one, I can get some gardening work done. Yes I might be interrupted by having to help get DS in and out of DD's Jeep, or helping him down steps, but I can still get a decent amount of work done.

The kids also get a healthy dose of vitamin D, thanks to the (sometimes weak) sunshine, which they need. They run around and explore and generally enjoy the freedom to get into most everything without having DH or I say "no!" a bazillion times. DD rejoices in every worm I find, and watches bugs, follows spiders, and rhapsodizes about any green tree frogs we find. DS loves feeling the dirt, and will happily plonk himself near me with his little blue shovel, digging away in a pile of dirt.

They come in exhausted and ready for a good nap or good night's sleep. Yes, baths might be a bit more frequent, but exhausted kids are good, because exhausted kids sleep deeply and well. Not many bad dreams or quibbles intrude on the sleep of the truly exhausted child.

So this year, we are going outside whenever it is not pouring. Jackets will be zipped, hoods will be deployed during sprinkles, and we will all enjoy the garden while we can. I know that all too soon fall will be nipping and it will actually be too cold to be outside. In WA our slogan will be, make garden fun while the sun shines.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I am SO in the same boat! The last couple of days it hasn't rained in the afternoons and it's been pleasant but I still have been reluctant to play out because the conditions aren't excellent then today I realised after our non-summer last year this may well be as good as it gets so we need to take advantage!