Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The House of Illness

That would be us. For about two weeks. I'm kind of tired of it, frankly. There needs to be a better way to evict stubborn microorganisms which don't belong there from one's body, or the bodies of one's children or spouse. Something that has a cathartic feel to it, like a big glowing button with a digital sign output and perhaps the noise of rushing wind, something like that. So that you feel like you're actually DOING something productive, because endlessly wiping noses and administering breathing treatments and medication in little cups and syringes somehow just doesn't have the same productive feeling.

I'm going stir-crazy here. DS has pneumonia, and just when I thought DD and DH were getting over their colds, a new variant showed up. Because, you know, it's not enough to deal with one week of non-stop runny noses and whining, why not add a second week for kicks? This time with a nasty phlegmmy cough, so you can try to explain to a three year old why she should cough up and spit out all that nasty tasting mucus instead of just swallowing it and not tasting it. Because THAT is soooo productive, as three year olds are reknowned for their comprehension of such things. And speaking of comprehension, how about the continuing exile from school and church, which has led to her begging for DH or I to play with her? The poor kid was just getting used to the fun of crafts and playtime with peers, and scarcely a month later she is yanked out for almost two weeks due to a cold. She just doesn't understand, frankly..."But maybe today, Mommy, I can go to school if I don't cough?" *sigh*

Yep, I am tired of it. Especially so since I also got the nasty cold, and have been expelling my own fair share of mucus. But somehow that doesn't matter when I have to teach, grade, keep up with the laundry, groceries, etc...there is no break from running the household! Now that DS is feeling a bit better, he is getting into everything, but still whiney because he still doesn't feel 100%. THAT is a fun place to be, let me tell ya...yep-per, we're having a GREAT time here...

When is my vacation, exactly??

2 comments:

Stan said...

I certainly understand that.

"When is my vacation, exactly??"

I'm thinking ... let's see ... given your current situation and all ... sometime around 2028 ... or so.

Mother of Chaos said...

Oh, that just plain STINKS. The lingering illness thing is just...well, it STINKS. (Yes. I am quite eloquent tonight.)

Hang in there...