Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hardly Glamorous

I suspect part of what drives SAHMs crazy sometimes is the fact that most of the work we do is hardly glamorous. I mean, really, what is so glam about wiping snotty noses or making mac & cheese, or vacuuming or folding laundry? Nothing. I suspect this is why women's lib caught on--it was far more exciting and glam to be a flight attendant, or a CPA, or Rosie the Riveter. Far better than trading tips on darning stockings or what to do when your cake doesn't rise. And while a lot of women do wear makeup and enjoy it, there are a fair few of us out there who wear makeup maybe twice a year, and when they do are hoping that what they already have isn't caked up or dried out, because heaven help us if we have to navigate the damn drugstore cosmetics aisle again.

A case in point: my day today. I spent my early part of the morning putting away dishes, a fairly ho-hum job with the slight amusement factor that comes from keeping DS out of the dishwasher while I attempt to unload it and reload it. And let's not forget cleaning out the coffee pot and coffee filter, and attempts to ensure that the cheap coffee filters, which are a smidge shorter than the expensive ones, don't cause the coffee grounds to overflow and clog the drain thingy (that's the technical term, dontchaknow).

Then I had the uber-glam job of cleaning my vacuum cleaner, after cleaning the birdcage, of course. My Dyson has never been cleaner, thanks to extensive rinsing of the filter, plus cleaning all the plastic bits inside the chamber. I did not know that I actually COULD clean all those bits! Those of you familiar with Dysons will forgive my ignorance, as I climb down the ignorance hill of former bag-vacuum owners. The idea that the insides of my canister could be, well, CLEAN, is astonishing. Now it looks nearly as clean as the day we bought it. Hopefully it will perform better after this salubrious treatment, too.

On the downside, my DD is sick, again. This morning she was lying around on the couch, so I knew she was not feeling good. Sure enough, the thermometer indicated a fever, so she didn't get to go to school, and now she's got a higher fever and the chills. Hmmmmmm. This worries me. This whole school thing is great, but it seems like she's doomed to come down with a new cold each week! I am hoping she is better in time for Thursday's Valentine's party with her class. Poor kiddo. Let's hope it's just a 24 hour bug. I sincerely hope we aren't up for another sleepless night. Spring had better be just around the corner!

1 comment:

Mother of Chaos said...

Oh, preach it. Today I spent a ridiculous amount of time cleaning the kitchen, which is just faaaaaaascinating work. And then I took this kid to school, and picked up that one, and went back there again, and then it was 5:30 and I was up to my elbows in making dinner and then it was bedtime.

And I hadn't put away the laundry yet. Again. For the fourth day in a row.

How can I be so BUSY, and yet so BORED?! FEH!!!!

(Hope the Dyson resumes duty!!)