Thursday, February 7, 2008

If I Could Teach Just One Thing...

...to my students, it would be to ASK when they have a problem! Ask if you don't understand some calculations! Ask if you don't understand the concept! Ask for help if you have personal or work issues that prevented you from turning an assignment in on time! Ask, ask, ASK!!

I know this is something that causes teachers everywhere to bang their heads on their desks in vain, but there is SO MUCH WIGGLE ROOM at the community college level for students who are brave enough to just ASK for help. I am astounded at how many of my students have just not turned in an assignment without a peep to me about why or asking for help with something they didn't understand. I just don't get it. I've told them all, and tell them every week, to ASK me if they need help, and they have my email address and a voicemail number. I check them both regularly and the only astonishing thing (to me) is how little they use them!

If that is one thing I wish I could drill into college students' heads, it's that they gain nothing but not asking the professor for help, and gain a ton when they do. Most professors are so willing to be accommodating, but we can't accommodate you if we don't know what's going on! So just suck it up and ask for help, peeps, that's all I'm sayin'.

1 comment:

Mother of Chaos said...

I always found my professors to be super cool when I started yelping about what-all I didn't understand. My classmates didn't seem to understand that not only was it their *job* to help us out, but most times their *joy*, as well.

I got not only what I needed for the class, but in a lot of cases a great deal more - showing me what I was missing often led to discussion about why I missed it or what was cool about it, and an hour later we're deep into something that technically wasn't in the coursework at all...but I walked away with good information I could actually use.

So, um, yeah! Suck it up and ask!