Monday, February 25, 2008

The Choice

Like most people in America, I had some passing interest in the Oscars last night. All right, more specifically, in the Oscar fashions on display on the red carpet. I love the elegant formalwear and jewels and beautiful clutches and Grace Kelly-esque gowns. I didn't really give a toss about the awards themselves--I haven't seen any of the movies nominated, and am still holding a grudge against the Oscars in general for the egregious snub of Cate Blanchett for Best Actress in "Elizabeth" in lieu of Gwyneth Paltrow in "Shakespeare in Love"--an egregious slight because Hollywood is so nepotistic and Gwyneth, as cute as her performances are, did not give a performance on the same level as Cate. Sorry, but she got that award because her father, Bruce Paltrow, was sick with cancer and in nepotistic and dynastic Hollywood, they wanted to make the family feel better. JMHO and all... *sniff, sniff* Yes, yes, I know Cate won for "The Aviator", but a snub is still a snub, peeps!

ANYWHO, my attention was snagged by a comment from Heidi Klum about how their (as in her & Seal's) kids were at home "with the nannies" so they could enjoy their evening. (Another digression...I have to say that "Project Runway" is my new guilty TV fave. So drama queen and insular fashionista, it's like high school popularity contests without most of the teen angst.) And I thought, well, that must be nice for them. They can let the nannies take care of the kiddos while they go about their jobs or hobbies or whatnot, without worry. They probably also have housekeepers who do all the ordinary cleaning, laundry, and tidying; as well as gardeners and probably a cook too.

You know, I don't have those luxuries, and I'm betting you don't either. When I choose to play with my kids instead of doing the laundry or housework (like I did today) I don't have magic hired hands to fill the gaps and get everything done. I come back inside and find the sink is still overflowing with dirty dishes, the clean dishes haven't been put away from the dishwasher, and there are still the remnants of last night's dinner on the table. The kids' toys are still all over the place, and the laundry is still stuffed into two overflowing baskets, awaiting folding and disposition in the appropriate closets and drawers. Dirty laundry is still piled up and waiting its turn in the washing machine, and I'm hoping I remember exactly what needs stain pretreatment before I throw it all in. It's yet another reminder for me that celebrities are totally removed from the Real World ™, which makes it all the more puzzling that vast numbers of people actually listen to them when it comes to forming opinions about important world events and societal problems. Just like the movies they star in, they are totally irrelevant to my daily existence, so why would I pay the slightest attention to their views on anything remotely relevant to my life?

Anyway, I had a good time playing with the kids today. I took them to Target and we bought some summer toys, while they are actually in stock. Living in a part of the country where nice weather is limited to the summer months, we found out the hard way last year that about the time you think you should get your kids some fun yard toys and water toys, they are all sold out in the local stores. So this year I set aside some tax refund dollars as a Toy Fund, and we bought some fun (and cheap) toys for exclusive use in the yard. I was persuaded to set up the "Island Adventure Water Table" when we got home, and the kids had a blast and got thoroughly soaked playing with it outside. And that precipitated an unusual daytime bath, and a quickie lunch of reheated mac & cheese, followed by a blissful (if short) period of mommy time wherein I actually read two sections of the newspaper without having little hands pull down the paper or interrupt me with wailing and gnashing of teeth over some infraction by one sibling on the other. And it was my choice to ignore the dishes, and the laundry, and the dirty tablecloth and the floors that need to be mopped. You see, I live in the Real World™, and I don't have a nanny or housekeeper. And frankly, I find it makes the playtime all the sweeter to know I have paid the price for it.

3 comments:

Stan said...

I suppose to a beleaguered mom (and dad) with young kids and lots of responsibilities, the idea of nanny (singular) or, better yet, nannies (plural) is alluring. I have to wonder, however, if either option is actually a plus for the children. If nanny (or nannies) was optimum, then wouldn't God have designed it that way? It is my suspicion (perhaps suspicion isn't the right word -- conviction?) that parents are the best option for raising kids, not nannies. It is my experience that the work put into raising those kids is well worth the exhaustion.

Carol said...

I live in the Real world too, but that place they live sounds like a fun vacation for about 2 weeks!

Science PhD Mom said...

I'm with you on the vacation part! But I think Stan is right--we miss out on a lot when we aren't on the frontlines, raising our kids ourselves. Our kids need to see us at our best AND our worst to learn about real life. I suppose that is what I think is the huge problem that these celebrities and their kids have--they are totally removed from Real Life, and if something happened to change their fortunes, I'm not sure they could cope.