Thursday, September 27, 2007

Finding the Fulcrum Point

So I have the continual struggle (as all SAHMs do, probably) of finding the right balance between housework (so my house is not a pit of despair), playing with my children (so they aren't over tugging at me begging for attention or being naughty for same), and doing things that make me a happy person outside of being "Mommy" 24/7 (Bible study, gardening, sudoku, harp, knitting). Some days I think I handle it better than others.

Case in point: dirty dishes in the sink. Now, that does bother me. I hate having a sprawling mass of dirty dishes, pots, & pans that has taken over my double sink and part of my countertop. Rationally I know that it's only 1 dishwasher load, but nonetheless, it's been sitting there all day, demanding to be fixed and annoying me when I passed it.

However, there were other more important demands on my time thus far today. I had to do all five days of my Bible study homework today. And believe me, God does answer prayer, because I asked Him to keep my kids both asleep at the same time so that I could do it all, and He did! I have 1 table I haven't filled in, but that's it--the rest is done. I even got time to play around with my Greek lexicons and look up some of the original Greek for words that were bothering me. Hallelujah!

Also, DD had to be taken to the library for new books & storytime, something which she has missed out on for a month due to some page ripping in library books. After that, because she was so well behaved, we had lunch at our favorite local specialty market, and I miraculously made it out of there for only $16 after purchasing some Comice pears (*drool*) and lunch for DD & myself. DS ate all the tomatoes from my pizza (gobbled them up greedily is a more accurate description) and BOTH of them sacked out in the car on the way home, paving the way for my Bible study homework.

Lastly, my DS got some quality time with Mommy while his sister slept on, after I finished my homework. We played and laughed together, and then DD got the same attention while he slept when she woke up. I even went through my scrap fabric pile and sewed a little dragon hand puppet for her, after she saw something similiar on TV yesterday.

Yep, some days I think I do okay. However, pushing it to do the dishes and then blog today was clearly too much non-kiddo time for DD...who has just been "knitting" like Mommy, and unraveled part of my pain-in-the-@$$, slippery "cha-cha" yarn scarf. Grrrr!! *bangs head here* Why do I push it, why why why?? *sigh*

To be continued.

No comments: