Monday, June 30, 2008

Will We Make It?

That is the question of the day...will we make it in time for our trip? We have a lot left to do: finish weeding, Preen the vegetable garden, mow lawns one more time, make packing lists, pay or schedule all bills, plan clothing to take, wash clothes one more week, clean the house again, and finish cleaning the bathrooms. We have gotten a lot done, so that is good. I've finally started the front flower bed, having yanked all the brambles from the beds around the house. DH weed whacked the overgrown driveway and all the other bits around the property, so he just has to do a good mowing before we go.

Keeping the house in a reasonable state of cleanliness is the major issue. The kids are getting in everything, and my normal vacuum & mop schedule is out of whack with how fast they are dirtying the house. DH suggested that we get rid of some of their toys that they don't play with. I agree whole-heartedly, but it will have to wait until we get home. I don't need another task on my plate! Toys are everywhere, books are everywhere, and DS has decided DVDs are great toys...no! So I am playing DVD police because we have open shelving and I don't want to spend the money on a pricey new closed storage cabinet. Trying to get him to comprehend the meaning of "No" is occupying a large amount of my time.

Plus we have to finish cleaning up under the kitchen sink...the new cabinet floor is in, but we are still having some mildewy smell. Yuck. I think we are going to end up taking out the new floor, ripping out the drywall, installing new drywall, and then re-installing the cabinet floor. Because, you know, EVERYONE wants to be doing a project like that a week before their vacation!

We are at that stage where it is not close enough to our departure to really get excited, but too close to ignore some of the prep work, if you know what I mean. And it's just adding more to my day than I like, especially with our current heat wave. I just want to park in front of our portable air conditioner for the vast majority of the afternoon and call it good...unfortunately, life demands I spend time folding clothes in our bedroom (the hottest room in the house) and keeping our children from attempting to stick their fingers into the fans.

I am sure it will all get done, and we will be happy enough with the results. Our house will hopefully be mostly clean when we leave it, and that will make life a bit easier when we return to it, horribly jet-lagged and cranky. Tell me, why do we go on vacation again?

1 comment:

Mother of Chaos said...

Oh, that's easy! We go on vacation so that we will appreciate all the comforts we have at home! :)

I hate that pre-vacation scramble SO much. HATE. IT. Phooey!!