Monday, December 31, 2007

Crafting Time

Since I have most of the Christmas stuff put away (not including the Christmas card ribbons, which will come down after New Year's, or the small stuff I keep finding around, like the ceramic carolers on the end table and such), I am throwing myself with abandon into rearranging the 'tableaus' on my piano, buffet, and display shelves. Because, you know, it's not enough work to keep house and children clean...I must have a new seasonal display! Because we have to greet the New Year in style!

Really it's just my way of putting the holidays firmly behind us and moving forward with a clean house and clean slate. Plus things get a little stale when you don't rearrange your pictures and tchotchkes and such. Sort of a "New Look for the New Year" philosophy. So, since I recently discovered during an unpacking frenzy all the artificial flowers and holders that I bought when we lived in Arizona (and I picked up some more containers and a few flowers at Michaels on clearance) I have gotten down to business creating some new spring/summer floral arrangements for the house.

First up, I finally did the ivy topiary, which was quite tedious. Using zillions of flower pins and my wire cutters I carved up two faux ivy bushes and now have quite a nice little topiary with artfully arranged reindeer moss at the bottom. I think it looks quite nice in our hallway. Moving on, I finally pieced together an arrangement for a wire bicycle/basket thing that can only be described as a purchase inspired by one of my "I can do country cute!" moments. Thankfully it only looks just a bit twee, and I'm happy to have it on our piano.

Of course, all of this cutting and arranging and fussing was accomplished at the expense of DH, who had to deal with the kiddos and keep them away from all the sharp pointy things that Mommy was playing with. And I had to glue a leg back on my gnome (yes, yes, I KNOW) and miraculously DD stayed away from it while it dried.

Such moments of happy crafting are rare, however, and I don't want you to think that I have my whole house done up for a new season. Oh no. I've only just removed the last of the Christmas greenery and burned it, and there are half-arranged bits and bobs all over the shelves. I am moving things from room to room and I think it will probably take me the rest of the week to finish it all and have it dusted and looking pretty. And I have 3 more arrangements to do, at a minimum...a wall hanging basket, and 2 containers. Maybe I will work on that today during naptime; then again, maybe I will knit some more rows on DH's unfinished Christmas (to come, now) sweater vest. As with everything else in this house, it, too, is proceeding in fits and starts. But a little progress is sweet.

No comments: