Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Ordinary Days

I'm thrilled to have 'ordinary' days. Yesterday was just such a day--I had no pressing items on my agenda, I had nothing around the house that absolutely had to be done, and I had things to do but none were of the 'set moment in time' variety. I had a spur of the moment 'picnic' with my daughter on the living room floor. Further, I had plenty of choices for my lunch, which is one of those simple pleasures in life. I also got that rarest opportunity, an hour in the middle of the day when both children were sleeping and I could finish a book I was enjoying very much. The bliss!

I wonder when the Bible talks about contentment if this is the kind that is pictured. I have a hard time imagining the kind of all-encompassing contentment that must be the domain of the citizens of Heaven. Of course, as a Christian, I am promised peace, but too often I walk away from it, or even run from it! My nature still wields a considerable influence on me. I think being able to take refuge in God's peace is a brilliant thing, and the people whom I know who are able to do it best, in my humble estimation, are those who have a lot of the Bible memorized. Yet again I feel God knocking on my hard head and saying, "Get to it!" Yes, Lord, yes. I have a whiteboard in my kitchen where I write Bible verses, in order to see them every day and memorize them. The current resident verse, Isaiah 26:7-8, has been in place since before my son's birth. Hmmm. I think I'd better get on it!

No comments: