Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Distractions & Determination

I thought it would be easy to assemble a new routine for my new life with two children. Eventually, I reasoned, things would settle down and I could start cobbling together a pattern from the mish-mosh of activities I like (gardening) or must engage in (bill paying) on a regular basis. However, I am finding this easier said than done.

There are a multitude of distractions awaiting me at every turn. My daughter would like nothing better than to play with me exclusively all day, every day, in the process turning the house into a disaster of clothing, toys, balls, puzzle pieces, and half-eaten Easter egg chocolates. This does not bother her. It bothers me, however, and it bothers her father, and it definitely bothers her brother, who in his infantile world believes I am there to serve him and him alone.

Additionally, I do have to stay on top of dirty dishes daily, at a minimum, and at least once a week I have to conquer my disrupted day enough to wash, fold, and put away laundry. Ok, I admit, the putting away part suffers more often than not, but at the very least I have to ensure all the family members have clean clothes to wear!

I also find myself dealing with all correspondence, via email and snail mail, with all members of our families, which is quite a chore in and of itself. If I don't send pictures of the kids often enough, you can be sure I will hear about it on the phone. (As an aside, I am very tempted to tell them to check our website, AGAIN, except they never do and still complain about the lack of pictures.) And heaven forbid I should forget anyone's birthday, or not send a thank you card in a prompt enough manner! I got a 'disapproving tone' from my mom on the phone last week for my failure to send a prompt enough thank you card for a gift I received from my uncle & aunt 3 weeks prior. I came close to saying, "Give me a friggin' break, I have a two month old and a two year old!" but I resisted the temptation. Instead I assured my mom that the thank you note (which I had already written, but hadn't mailed because I couldn't find their address in the disrupted correspondence) would be mailed that week, and I did so. I did instantly jump on some upcoming birthdays and wrote & sent all relevant presents and cards, so at least that bought me a few weeks' grace until my anniversary in May.

So, I have a lot of things that demand my attention. I was discussing this recently with DH, and said I felt like I was being lost in the sea of positions I occupy: Chief Playmate, Chief Chaffeur, Errand Runner Extraordinaire, Milk Cow to His Highness the Prince, Head Housekeeper, Senior Gardener and Landscape Designer...the list is endless! I did tell him that sometimes it even felt like I could add "Luscious Lover" to the list, just another in a litany of chores! And that, my friends, is sad. Whatever about nursing and progesterone levels, sex should not be a chore!

However, I am Determined to Do Those Things That Are Important to Me. By these I mean, finding time for Bible Study--if not daily, at least every other day or thereabouts. I have started back with my women's Bible study group, and it really does put everything in perspective and help me not to run shrieking from my house on those days when I am going from one crying child back to the other crying child. I also include Gardening, a.k.a. That Which Mommy Is Allowed to Spend Money and Time On Each Fall and Spring. And, Reading, or, My Brain is Tired and I Want to Read Someone Else's Creative Thoughts. These are the things that remind me who ME is, and thus, they are accorded a place and priority amidst the distractions and clutter of my daily life. Yes, it is good to remember me, and who I am becoming through Christ. Hooray!

3 comments:

Stan said...

Okay, so I clicked on "View my complete profile" and what do I find? Not even a picture, let alone a profile. What's up with that???

Science PhD Mom said...

Yeah, well, I have been pretty busy of late! The gardening is taking up a lot of my time recently, and I have only just caught up on laundry since the in-laws left. Seriously. Eventually, I will add more tabs and features around the blog, and maybe even put up a picture, but all of that is on the back-burner for now. I might add more detail to the profile sometime soon...what do you think so far?

Stan said...

So far, so good. (I was only kidding about the "profile" anyway.)