Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Multi-Tasking Run Amok

Here I am again: another fun reality moment, when I caught myself stirring up roasting pumpkin seeds with a seam ripper. Yes, a seam ripper. I am not well. How did this come to pass? It is the frightening result of too much multi-tasking, my friends. Exactly how many projects/tasks am I working on right now? Let's count them up.

  1. My son's Halloween costume. I saw a cute knight outfit, but it cost waaaaaay too much money. So I said, "Shoot, I can make that myself!" and promptly went to Joann (coupons in hand, of course) and bought material and trimmings. Of course, I was then kicking myself when I saw a knight costume for $14 at Wal Mart two weeks later. D'oh!
  2. My daughter's princess dress. Luckily for me, this is a play-clothes dress for Christmas, so I've got time. Good thing, since the pattern and all the components are still sitting in the bag.
  3. Repairing four BumGenius diapers. I saw them on sale for $5 each, thought it was a cheap way to add to our stash, and bought them. I should have taken a closer look at the diapers we already had so that I fully acknowledged what it would mean to replace shot leg elastic. Each leg has three seams to rip out before I can get to the elastic. I am close to saying that Cotton Babies swindled me out of $15. Luckily the last one is merely shot Velcro, which is far easier to replace, but alas, requires seam ripping as well.
  4. Canning apples & pears in many permutations. Yes, I am still sitting on a half bushel of pears and a bushel of apples. See previous entry regarding effort involved. *sigh*
  5. Shopping, wrapping, and packaging all Christmas gifts for DH's family, and shipping them before it costs a small fortune to do so. That means trying to ship them sometime in the next week. We are buying gift cards for all adults save one (I already bought something for one of DH's sisters), but I still have some things to ship.
  6. Putting up fall decorations. This also involves thoroughly cleaning our pigsty disaster zone *ahem* home in the process. Bwahahaha!! Yeah, it's really high on my priority list, as you can see. I'm thinking we might be skipping fall and going straight to the Christmas decorations, just so I have them up before New Year's. Heck, I'm already wrapping the presents, why not?
  7. Working on our bathroom drywall seams, wall texturing, priming, and painting. And laying tile. And putting on paper the design and all the cuts required for the tub surround. Yeah. Good stuff, huh? I am now wondering if we will be done by Thanksgiving.

This is on top of my REGULAR job as, you know, housekeeper and Mom Who Keeps Her Children Intact-for-the-Most-Part-by-the-Grace-of-God. And school chaffeur, what with DD's preschool thrice-weekly. And CFO! Let's not forget CFO! Chief bill payer and budgeter extraordinaire, that's me.

And that is why I was stirring roasting pumpkin seeds with a seam ripper. Because I was keeping my son intact, having discovered him with my seam ripper from the aforementioned diapers, and raced back to stir the pumpkin seeds I was roasting from the sugar pumpkins which were already roasted and food processed and bagged, cooling on the counter (away from little fingers) before freezer storage. Does it scare you? Because it does me, and we're not even close to Christmas yet. I have visions of myself cleaning the bird cage with an empty wrapping paper roll and giving my daughter stamps to use as stickers on her crafts. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

TheAustinEmpire said...

I am feeling a lot like you.....sadly I am not getting near that much done.