Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Austen Lit Reviews, for all my Fellow Austen Fans!!

Ok, I should be doing so many other things, but I have to let you know that I have discovered a new favorite (favourite, for my English friends) genre of novels, called Austen lit, or Austen fan-fiction. Basically, a bunch of crazy women (and yes, they are mostly women) who can't get enough of Jane Austen's novels have written a whole bunch of books which are spin-offs or "what if..." books centered around her famous novels and most famous characters. As you can imagine, I nearly swooned with delight to find so many books exploring my favorite novels of all time, and have devoured a bunch of them, which were handily given to me as birthday presents a month ago.

First, I have a few rules regarding these Austen spin-offs. One, I make every effort to avoid books which take Jane Austen's characters and put them into a seamy Regency romance novel. I really do not need to read vivid imaginings about Darcy & Elizabeth's sex life, thanks much. Second, I have also attempted to avoid novels which (in my very humble opinion) portray the characters in what I feel to be un-characteristic ways. I adore Fitzwilliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet, so it is difficult to read books which I think treat them as other than they are presented in Austen's work. Obviously this is more difficult with novels which take a "what if" approach, so I have read one of those and suspended my disbelief about certain elements (see below). Third, I have included the Austen lit novels which involve some form of time travel or play-acting regression to Regency England. Although not strictly involving Austen's characters, I found them entertaining and sometimes a satirical view of Austen addicts and JASNA members (which, by the way, gentle reader, I have not joined yet; although I would like to do so when I have older children which will permit me to attend meetings).


So, for those of you who adore Miss Austen, please find here my reviews & recommendations of some Austen lit centering on the best beloved Pride & Prejudice and the characters contained therein.

  1. The Last Man in the World by Abigail Reynolds. This can be placed firmly in the What If category, as this author assumes that Elizabeth is caught being kissed by Mr. Darcy on the occasion of his first proposal, and she is therefore compromised and forced to marry him. I thought the author did an admirable job of conveying Elizabeth's distress about the situation, but I did question some of her portrayal with regard to Elizabeth's behavior after the marriage and the way in which Darcy & Elizabeth felt their way around to loving each other. I just thought Elizabeth would have been more straightforward, or that she would have talked it through with Jane. I just couldn't see her keeping it all to herself. Just my two cents and all that. I would give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.

  2. Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride by Helen Halstead. This book is a Sequel and follows Darcy & Elizabeth as they navigate the Polite World following their marriage, as well as the family fall-out for Darcy on his marriage. I did like the insight into the social whirl, but felt too much focus was placed on this and it sort of obscured the view of their developing marriage and trust in each other. I guess I would say it got bogged down in that as a plot device to strengthen their marriage; so much so that I had difficulty finishing it! However it does a nice job of tying up loose ends of all the other minor characters, and even Miss Bingley is redeemed somewhat. I would rate it 3 out of 5 stars and an enjoyable read.

  3. Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler. If you are or have ever been a modern singleton, this is the book for you. It is definitely a Time Travel/Displacement book. It follows a Los Angeles native after she breaks off her engagement, then finds herself in Regency England inhabiting the body of a gentlewoman named Jane Mansfield. She has to pick her way around her toxic mother and through the social milieu that sees a number of suitors and potential enemies crossing her path. She has to deal with her own demons from modern times while ensuring she doesn't leave Jane in a mess, assuming she ever leaves! A few nitpicks about the book: Courtney's vulgarity seems out of place several times early in the book and it made me wonder how a supposedly intelligent woman could forget the social strictures of the time, but I supposed it was the author's way of communicating her alienation from that society. And I felt the ending was incredibly rushed and somewhat unintelligible. I would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

  4. Austenland by Shannon Hale. This is another Time Travel/Displacement book, and definitely a great satirical view of modern Austen fans and JASNA members. Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself after reading this book, then you're taking Jane too seriously. Again we have a modern singleton, this time based in New York. Jane Hayes is in love with Colin Firth, the BBC adaptation of P&P, and Mr. Darcy as the dream man. By a curious bequest Jane is granted a trip to a fantasy theme park in demure old England, hidden in bucolic countryside at a great estate. She is given a fake name, fake hair, and a whole wardrobe to match, then introduced to the "country society" as a miss come to town to visit her aunt. Surrounded by fellow guests seeking to relive the past and actors paid to make their dream Austen experience come true, Jane confronts what she really wants in life. Really funny and well done, sort of like a modern day Emma/Elizabeth cross. I enjoyed it a lot, and would give it 4 out of 5 stars. Thumbs up.

  5. Letters from Pemberley by Jane Dawkins; also More Letters from Pemberley. This book was my first introduction to Austen lit, and I have to say I adored it. Using letters from Elizabeth to several people, the reader is informed of how the new Mrs. Darcy gets on adjusting to her household, the affections of her husband, their country society and then society at large. It is a charming lens through which to view Elizabeth & Darcy after their marriage, and reading Elizabeth's letters make the reader feel like a favored correspondent of one of their favorite characters! The sequel is no less charming, if a bit more down to earth with the practicalities of being a large landowner's wife, and the realities of family life in that time. Really nicely done and so good I read them again. 5 out of 5 stars.
  6. An Assembly Such as This, Duty and Desire, and These Three Remain by Pamela Aidan. This is a trilogy of novels, all subtitled, "A Novel of Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman". As you have probably guessed, they are a Spin Off, a clever take on the original Pride and Prejudice written from Mr. Darcy's perspective. Pamela Aidan does a superlative job of conveying Mr. Darcy's (presumed) motivations and thoughts throughout his meeting, courtship, and further wooing of Elizabeth Bennet. It is quite interesting to see the demands placed on Darcy by his status in society and his large estate Pemberley, as well as the care and essential rearing of his sister as she prepares for her Society debut. You can definitely see the rigid social class strictures at play, and the introduction of Fletcher, Mr. Darcy's indomitable valet, is fantastic. Fletcher reminded me of the best elements from "Gosford Park" or other peeks at the society of servants, and he is a great foil to Darcy's silent contemplations about Elizabeth. There are a few motifs that are woven throughout the novels with great aplomb, and although I was a bit annoyed with the Gothic novel aspects of Duty and Desire (Northanger Abbey was never a favorite of mine) the strength of the whole series really enchanted me. I would even venture to say that had Ms. Austen felt it within her purview to speculate about the thoughts of a gentleman, she would have written much as Ms. Aidan has. 5+ stars, my favourites of the whole genre thus far.

Well, there you have it--my opinions on some Austen fan-fiction. I really enjoyed re-visiting Austen's world through different viewpoints, and it inspired me to re-read Pride and Prejudice yet again. While my DH has to be somewhat relieved that my love of all things Austen has found a temporary respite in fan fiction, likewise he is probably a bit peeved that it has done nothing to curb my incessant watching of the A&E/BBC version of "P&P". Well, I suppose Colin Firth really is Mr. Darcy for me at this stage, so "Bridget Jones' Diary" and its sequel will do as well. I suspect my ardor for Jane Austen's novels and paraphenalia will continue for the rest of my life, so I am fortunate to have a husband who is amiable enough to go along for the ride with my Austen riddled viewing choices. And isn't that really what Mr. Darcy and Miss Bennet are all about in the end? Learning to live with each other's differences and embracing them.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Fabulous, now I am heading over to Amazon to get me some of those. I deserve it after my Jane Eyre encounter.

Your comments about Wuthering Heights cracked me up. I can only assume that is why I adored it as a teenager when I was grumpy and selfish myself.

My 16 year old BIL is reading it right now for school and finding it torture. Ha!

Linore Rose Burkard said...

Hi, I enjoyed your post about the fan fiction, and I appreciate your take on it as I can hardly stand to read stuff that might dishonour Austen characters, myself. Keep up the reviews....
Blessings,

Linore Rose Burkard
Inspirational Romance for the Jane Austen Soul
http://www.LinoreRoseBurkard.com