Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Random Bits of DIY Induced Hysteria

First, let me say that I have amended my list of life skills that children should know before they fledge from the nest, so to speak:

1. How to change a flat tire
2. How to put on snow chains
3. How to change the oil in their car
4. How to cook
5. How to clean
6. How to do laundry
7. How to budget & pay bills
8. *NEW* How to solder a copper pipe connection

Yes, I am convinced it is that important, because in learning this particular skill my children could someday save themselves a thousand dollars or more, or whatever the equivalent of $455.69 is in twenty years' time. Because that is what we paid the plumber to completely fix the nicked toilet water supply line, plus to refit our tub/shower controls to an all-in-one lever unit. All for the fine art of copper pipe soldering, yes sir. Yippee.

On the plus side, we no longer have water dripping from any bathroom plumbing into our crawlspace or designated buckets. Yay! And, DH & I have made the decision that instead of patching the vinyl floor, we are going to go ahead and tile the bathroom. I have found reasonably priced tiles, and now I have the fun of planning out the patterns for the floor and tub/shower surround, including what thickness of grout we want, etc. I am wishing we had some graph paper lying around to make life easier, but that's just me. I will probably be fine with some plain old paper and a ruler.

Our kids are coping reasonably well with the loss of their bathroom. We had our first shower instead of a bath last night, and they did pretty well, I think. The only downside is it is now a two person job to get them bathed, because DS has to come straight out when he's done and one of us has to be ready to wrangle him and then keep him away from the shower. DD still isn't too keen on the sprayer but she is happy as long as she gets to hold it, so we will work with that.

Next up we have to remove the vanity & double sinks, then rip up all the old vinyl in that room. DH also wants to get rid of the venetian plastered wall, which was plastered to cover up painted over, textured wallpaper. He just wants to start fresh with new drywall, and I can't say as I blame him. What is a little MORE drywalling when we are going to be hanging cementboard for the tub surround anyway? Personally I will be happier when the demolition is completely done and we are moving forward with putting it back together again.

Hopefully tomorrow we will get the rest of the floor in, now that the plumber has worked his magic. I have to figure out how to get the insulation up in the crawlspace since it's a pretty inaccessible area, so I will have to do as much as possible stapling from above and hopefully we can avoid trying to staple/attach insulation with 6" of clearance (the fun of pipes being in the way in the crawlspace). I hate to drag the kids back to the home improvement store today, but I can't see any way around it since we have to buy the insulation, plus more 1/2" pipe insulation. Fun fun fun!

Like I said, I just want to get started putting it all back together now. Wish us luck, folks.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Good luck.

We only have a shower and no bath and have had since Eli was born. It does make bathtime a tad more tricky that is for sure.

Melissa said...

Sounds like an awful lot of work!

I wish that we lived closer and then Curt could have lent a hand with the soldering! He sure makes it look easy enough, but I guess it's not.

Yes, I still have my blog. Let me know if you can't get there and I'll send you the link, but it should be in my profile.