Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What Will They Be?

Being a parent means I have (mostly) moved from wondering what I will be when I grow up, to wondering what my kids will be when they grow up. Even at their young ages, they have some preferences for things that make DH & I wonder if they are going to be inclined toward those things when they grow up.

DD loves music and dancing. When I have the cover off of my harp, she is right there, clamoring to be allowed to play and wanting to sit on my chair and pull the harp back to play it like I do. She even puts up two fingers, her thumb and middle finger, to pluck two strings at once the way I do when I play chords (well I play 3 strings but you get the point). She also loves to dance to celebrate anything ordinary--a change of clothes, a breakfast dance, a new library book dance...she will dance to anything. Our favorite is when she does her "whisk" dance, where she goes to the kitchen, gets a whisk, and then proceeds to dance around like an pygmy, banging the whisk and shaking her feet.

Did I mention the songs she makes up? She will start singing her own songs, filled with la-la's and oh's and any other sounds which she thinks are part of songs. She will add in sentences about the activity, "Oh, this is pretty, la-la..." and in general describe her day or mood with the exuberance of her singing. THAT is cute, my friends.

And DS is already showing signs of being a foodie. He rejects artificially flavored ice cream, but give that child some real vanilla bean ice cream and he's all over it. Ditto the toaster waffles...yeah, they are okay to chew on, but to actually EAT he prefers toast with butter. And he loves real maple syrup--the dark B grade with lots of flavor. Will suck it right off the toaster waffle strips and leave the waffle on his tray. He also loves roasted garlic potatoes and DH's seasoned chicken. Those pre-formed chicken nuggets? Yuck! Spits them right out.

He also adores TV. If the TV is on, he wants to watch it. I admit to using Teletubbies on occasion to keep him entertained, but he has definite couch potato tendencies. I have to turn it off if he's in the room, or he will watch TV. DD only likes a few shows anyway, so I don't mind saying goodbye to Sprout's endless re-runs throughout the day and their chirpy hosts. I'd rather put on some good music and watch DD dance.

No comments: