Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Tough Day

It's near the beginning of my day, and I can tell it's going to be a tough day. Not because of anything my children are doing in particular, but just because I'm tired, a bit grouchy, and want a bit of time to myself. And that is not going to happen today, I'm afraid! *LOL*

At least I can laugh at my grouchy self. My DD has wisely picked up on my grouchiness and is entertaining herself with PlayDoh for the time being. My DS has been exiled to his crib for his morning nap, and His Highness was being a super grouch as well and I was not willing to placate him for another 30 minutes to try to even out his naps. He's mildly fussing but not really crying, which tells me it was the right choice for him, as he will likely be asleep within five minutes.

I'm irritated with myself already today because I forgot about 2 regular bills, which hit our checking account and thus overdrew our account onto our credit card. *sigh* It's not a big deal, I just thought for some reason they came out on the 15th instead of the 1st of the month. Grrr. I just can't seem to keep all these financial balls in the air at the same time, and I need to get a workable system in place so that I DON'T mistake when bills are due, etc. I'm seriously considering buying the Dave Ramsey envelope system, because DH & I know we do better on a strictly cash budget. Some friends of ours just bought the deluxe system, so my cheap frugal self wants to examine this 'system' before I shell out the bucks for one for us. I figure if it's something we can duplicate using paper envelopes we already have, so much the better.

And I know I have to finish the Christmas party invitations and get them in the mail, since it's exactly 1 month from today. I am seriously thinking I might do Evite for our friends and do the paper invites to our neighbors, since I have almost enough of them made to cover the neighbors. Easy, simple, and makes my life simpler. I just don't want to do it, to be honest, because as soon as they are done then there is no excuse for postponing the start of Christmas card writing: something which I alternately love and despise as I plow through approximately 140 cards.

And I am not happy to look at the calendar and see that the "extra" paycheck of November is a myth, that in fact it's just getting ahead of bills and eliminating the shuffle back and forth between savings and checking; and there is no magic "extra" money to funnel back to various NEEDS (yes, not wants, but NEEDS) in the various e-funds and assorted requirements for moola. *sigh* Depressing.

And, what exactly am I going to buy for my parents and husband for Christmas, hmm? No clue. None. DH's sweater languishes in the corner (largely for want of time to work on it) and I need to reaffirm with my brother & sister that we aren't giving each other gifts, right? Or maybe set a $5 limit on them, something like that.

It all just makes me want to bury my head in the sand, peeps!! I want to lounge around eating Halloween candy, drinking coffee, and knitting whatever I want to make or doing a craft or wrapping the presents I have already bought for my kiddos. Anything but the depressing realities of our finances, or required Christmas cards, or planning our fixed budget.

Well, I suppose that's enough of a pity party. Time for me to go attack our mountain of laundry. Oh the joy.

No comments: